29 August 2011

unschool monday :: book week


The internet was all aflutter with updates and tweets about Children's Book Week parades last week. I mentioned this to the owlets and my own experience with book week. It was the big highlight of my primary school years. I recounted who I went dressed as, my favourite characters, my favourite books... I suggested they might want to dress up too. At first reluctantly, then with a little mustered enthusiasm, they ran and found costumes. Big Owlet was Charlotte, of web fame. Little Owlet was the Little Red Hen. Tiny Owlet was Maisy Mouse. Then they paraded around the garden for a bit as we talked about who Huz and I might dress up as for dinner... then Big Owlet said "you know Mum, every week is like book week around here..." She was right. We dress up all the time. We don't really need an excuse. And I don't really need to suggest it. What was my one highlight is their everyday... How lucky we are.

Check out this lovely Book Week celebration and if you feel like joining in with Unschool Monday this week, we'd love to have you.


3 comments:

  1. That's fabulous! I dressed up as Charlotte for one of my primary school years' Book Weeks too. :) My mum even made me a web using dowel rods and yarn. Charlotte is ace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you don't mind I've popped one in from yesterday - although it wasn't specifically an unschool monday xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea that our childhood Special days are now our childrens' Every Day. LOVE it! :)

    Love the dress ups! Love that you can also have them any other time you like, for any reason under the sun. It's a good life, isn't it, Lauren? Thank you for sharing your goodness here :)

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts...