9 September 2009

Saving Homebirth...

Well, trying valliantly anyhow.... As I've mentioned before, the Australian Government are currently devising ways to make birthing with an independent midwife at home extremely difficult for the majority of the population, if not illegal, in the near future. It would seem the government are spending time listening to insurance companies and medical groups and not to the people most affected by these plans, women. So we decided to travel to Canberra to try and get our voices heard, along with a couple of thousand other people, in favour of choice.

It was wet and freezing cold. So we rugged up, donned attractive garbage bag-style rain ponchos and bundled off after breakfast, starting at the Aboriginal Tent Embassy. That's me holding little owlet's hand in the middle of the pic.


We'd been invited to participate in the sacred fire ceremony and Acknowledgement of Country.


It was such an amazing and moving thing to be part of, for all of us...


A chance to listen and learn, before marching on to Parliament House to join the throng...


There's me in my lovely garbage bag with a green faerie I met along the way...


We stood with friends and strangers, women, men and children, in the rain and cold and hoped that the polititians noticed we were there, if only for a few hours.... Canberra certainly noticed the increase in babies, children, earthy types and baby carriers! I'm not sure we made a huge difference, but I am glad we did what we could, and we'll continue to in the coming months... years...

Oh, but I'm so glad to be home!

2 comments:

  1. How did you know about this gathering of like minded people Lauren? But also, how did you find out about the Government wanting to make these changes? I haven't heard anything in mainstream media (I know, I should not be surprised) and this would be a terrible thing to happen. That choice, that decision, that power can not be taken away from familes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know they were trying to do that, thanks for bringing it to our attention.

    I had toxemia? the first time, but thinking back I could have borrowed a blood pressure machine from the chemist, I think people should be advised to do that. So induced, lost a lot of blood, same for the next two but less each time. I had a normal doctor for the first four. The doctors were late arriving on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th under the direction of the nurses. 2nd and 4th weren't actually "caught". But with the obstectrician I was happier as he checked the cord before he left, and yes, the nurse delivered and make a conscious effort not to leave me lol.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts...